Try your hand at Easter baking 11 Apr
Fairburn's Celebration Chocolate Cake
- 150g self-raising flour
- 180g soft butter
- 3 large Fairburn's Lincolnshire free-range eggs
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 180g caster sugar
- 85g drinking chocolate (not cocoa)
For the chocolate butter icing:
- 60g butter
- 100g icing sugar
- 15g drinking chocolate
- 1 tsp instant coffee, melted in a little boiling water
For the chocolate ganache:
- 35g unsalted butter
- 100g plain chocolate
- 35g caster sugar
- 50ml double cream
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas 3
- Put all of the cake ingredients together into a mixing bowl, beat together well for two minutes. Put into two 18cm greased and bottom-lined cake tins and bake for approximately 30 minutes - be careful not to over cook!
- When cooked, remove from the oven and turn onto a wire rack. To make the chocolate butter icing, cream the butter to soften, add the icing sugar and drinking chocolate, and beat all the ingredients together until the icing is light in texture.
- Finally, beat in the instant coffee. Spread the chocolate butter icing on one of the cakes and place the other half on top.
- To make the ganache, melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water (the bowl shouldn't touch the water). Add the sugar and stir to help it melt.
- Take it off the heat and add the cream. If it looks as if it is splitting, beat like mad with a wooden spoon and it will end up smooth. Leave to cool and firm up and then spread over the cake.